Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur air base in northwestern Syria on August 18, carrying out eight airstrikes. According to Syrian authorities, the strikes hit the runway and storage areas, while no casualties were reported.
Të lidhura
None found
According to Al Jazeera, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said the attack was carried out after Israel received information that Turkey was preparing activity at the base which, in his view, could pose a threat to Israel’s security.
According to Katz, the Israeli military had proposed carrying out the attack and, before the operation, Israel had warned the Syrian government. The minister also said that the information had been shared with U.S. officials.
Turkey Denies Military Presence at the Base
Ankara has rejected Israel’s claims. Turkey’s Ministry of Defense said there had been no Turkish military delegation at Abu al-Duhur base, either before or during the attack.
Syria has also denied that it was preparing to establish a Turkish military base or permanently station Turkish troops at the facility.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Turkish military officials had visited the base as part of training and military cooperation. He denied that there was any plan to permanently deploy Turkish forces.
U.S.: Attack Risked Escalation
The Israeli attack also drew a reaction from the United States. The U.S. envoy for Syria and Turkey, Tom Barrack, described the attack as an “unnecessary escalation” and warned of the risk of a broader confrontation between Israel, Turkey and Syria.
Meanwhile, the United States is working to establish a communication mechanism between the three countries, with the aim of preventing incidents and direct military clashes.
The attack on Abu al-Duhur has heightened tensions between Israel and Turkey, as the two sides increasingly clash over their military role and presence in postwar Syria.
