Categories: english

KFOR on Opening the Ibër Bridge: Decision Must Take All Communities Into Account

KFOR has said that any decision on the possible reopening of the Ibër Bridge in Mitrovica to vehicle traffic must take into account the needs of all communities. The NATO mission in Kosovo also said it is supporting the European Union’s diplomatic efforts, while referring questions about the bridge’s status to the EU and Kosovo’s institutions.

Të lidhura

None found

In a response to the media following a meeting between KFOR Commander Ozkan Ulutash and the EU representative in Kosovo, Eva Palatova, a NATO official said the mission is providing the European Union with the necessary security support to advance the diplomatic process.

“KFOR also continues to provide the necessary support in the security field so that EU-led diplomatic efforts can move forward.”

For any position regarding the status of the Ibër Bridge, KFOR instructed that questions be directed to the European Union and Kosovo’s institutions.

“For any further comment regarding the status of the bridge, I refer you to the EU and Kosovo’s institutions.”

KFOR has begun a gradual withdrawal of its permanent presence from the main bridge over the Ibër River. According to the NATO mission, this process is linked to the improved security situation in Kosovo and the optimization of troop deployment.

This development was made public at a time when the European Union said the conditions had been met for opening the bridge to vehicles as well. KFOR clarified that the transition would take place step by step, depending on the situation on the ground, and could be reversed if security circumstances require it.

“The process is being closely coordinated with all relevant stakeholders, including representatives of Kosovo’s institutions and international organizations, as well as representatives of the Kosovo Police and the European Union Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo (EULEX).”

According to KFOR, local stakeholders have been regularly informed and involved in this process. They include the Serbian List, the main party representing Serbs in Kosovo.

Commander Ozkan Ulutash most recently met with representatives of the party on August 11. In addition to the Serbian List, he continues to communicate with other stakeholders involved in the issue.

“Regarding the overall optimization process, Major General Ulutaş, the commander of the KFOR mission, continues to maintain close contact with all his key counterparts in Kosovo’s institutions, international organizations and the Serbian Armed Forces.”

Although its permanent presence on the bridge is undergoing a transition, KFOR emphasized that it would continue to maintain a presence in southern and northern Mitrovica, as well as in northern Kosovo.

“Our personnel are well positioned to respond to any significant developments, in accordance with KFOR’s longstanding UN mandate. KFOR will maintain a visible presence in South and North Mitrovica, as well as in northern Kosovo, and will continue contributing to the maintenance of a safe and secure environment for all communities.”

The NATO mission reiterated that it is closely monitoring the situation on the ground and remains focused on implementing its mandate, as established by UN Security Council Resolution 1244 of 1999. The mandate is aimed at ensuring a safe and secure environment and freedom of movement for all communities in Kosovo.

Following the start of the transition of KFOR’s presence on the Ibër Bridge, Kosovo Police officers were seen in the area and are now expected to assume responsibility for ensuring security there.

The European Commission addressed a message to the institution. EC spokesperson Anita Hipper said at a press conference that the European Union’s position was clear: the conditions for reopening the bridge to vehicles had been met.

“What we are also asking is for the Kosovo Police to guarantee the security of all communities, in accordance with democratic principles, human rights and the rule of law, so that everyone feels safe.”

The EU also said it expects Kosovo’s institutions to coordinate with all communities.

“We have made our assessment, steps have been taken in this direction, and our position remains that we still expect effective coordination and meaningful consultations, which must be improved,” Hipper said.

Meanwhile, Belgrade announced that it would submit a complaint to the NATO Secretary General. Serbian President Aleksandar Vuçiq said he would send Mark Rutte an official letter regarding the opening of the Ibër Bridge and expressed dissatisfaction with the KFOR commander.

“The Turk, the KFOR commander, is doing this. Today I will write to Mark Rutte, and I hope he responds to my letter and accepts my request that this not be done. For me, this is a great disgrace and a disappointment. This shows us that nervousness has entered their ranks; they do not know how to force Serbia to recognize an independent Kosovo.”

The bridge over the Ibër River, which allowed pedestrians but not vehicles to cross, has for years been considered a symbol of Mitrovica’s division.

During 2024, the Kosovo Government’s initiatives to open it were opposed by local Serbs. The European Union had asked the Kosovo authorities to coordinate their actions before taking such a step. The Government later built two bridges parallel to the main bridge to serve as alternative routes.

të fundit

UK Poll: Confrontation With France Seen as More Effective in Stopping English Channel Migrant Boats

Më shumë britanikë besojnë se përpjekjet për të ndaluar ardhjen me gomone të emigrantëve drejt brigjeve angleze përmes ngushticës së…

20 seconds ago

ASH: Albanian children in Idrizova still denied mother-tongue education

Aleanca për Shqiptarët ka reaguar në lidhje me nxënësit shqiptarë në Idrizovë, të cilëve nuk u mundësohet mësimi në gjuhën…

1 minute ago

Shtatori sjell vendimin për Thaçin dhe bashkëakuzuarit në Hagë, OVL e UÇK-së shpreh pritshmëritë dhe shqetësimet

Shtatori pritet të jetë një nga muajt më të rëndësishëm për proceset gjyqësore që po zhvillohen në Dhomat e Specializuara…

3 minutes ago

Bajrami: Kurti is delaying the formation of institutions and leading Kosovo toward new elections

Deputetja  nga radhet e Lidhjes Demokratike të Kosovës, Hykmete Bajrami, ka akuzuar kryeministrin në detyrë, Albin Kurti, për zvarritje të…

3 minutes ago

AAK accuses the Kurti government of constitutional violations and misuse of the budget

Aleanca ka mbajtur konferencë për medie me ç’rast ka ngrit akuza ndaj qeverisjes Kurti lidhur me shkelje kushtetuese dhe dëme…

3 minutes ago

Ibar Bridge Heading Toward Reopening After Two Decades of Division? Professor Urges Caution

Konfirmimi i Bashkimit Evropian se janë përmbushur kushtet e nevojshme për hapjen e urës kryesore mbi lumin Ibër në Mitrovicë,…

4 minutes ago