The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected claims that the deployment of the International Stabilization Force (ISF) in the Gaza Strip has been approved as part of Donald Trump’s postwar plan.
None found
“Contrary to media reports, the political establishment has not approved the entry of an international force into the Gaza Strip,” the prime minister’s office said in a statement.
According to the same statement, Israel has made clear that the reconstruction of Gaza will not begin before Hamas is completely disarmed.
The Israeli government’s position appears to have followed the publication in Hebrew-language media of several videos showing foreign military officers in the Rafah area alongside members of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).
Several media outlets interpreted the footage as the first deployment of ISF troops in Gaza. However, an Israeli official familiar with the matter told The Times of Israel on Tuesday that it was an “on-site inspection before deployment.” Senior officers from Burundi and Uganda took part in the visit as part of preliminary talks with Israel about the countries’ involvement in the international force. Uganda had announced earlier this month that it had approved sending troops to Gaza as part of the Indian Security Forces (ISF).
Last month, Israeli officials said the country’s security council had approved legal measures that would pave the way for the limited entry of ISF forces into Gaza under a plan led by the Board of Peace.
The force is expected to consist of around 200 soldiers from “friendly countries.”
The plan calls for international forces to be deployed in Gaza after the withdrawal of Israeli troops. Their duties would include ensuring security in designated areas, supporting humanitarian operations and meeting other security needs. However, implementation of the initiative has been delayed.
Hamas accepted a disarmament proposal put forward by the Peace Council in July, but the process has remained “frozen.” The reason is Netanyahu’s insistence that Israel will not withdraw from Gaza until the organization is completely disarmed.
Although the plan is facing delays, the Peace Council continues to work on establishing the international force.
Meanwhile, the Trump administration recently notified the U.S. Congress that it intends to allocate more than $206 million to fund the ISF.
Pas kërkesës së hapur të BDI-së për mbajtjen e zgjedhjeve të parakohshme parlamentare, ka reaguar koalicioni VLEN, duke e akuzuar…
Çështja e sigurisë së Princit Harry dhe Meghan Markle përpara rikthimit të tyre në Britani është një “çështje private” që…
Ministri në detyrë i Punëve të Brendshme, Xhelal Sveçla, ka deklaruar se Policia e Kosovës ka gjetur dhe konfiskuar një…
Bashkia Poliçan ka vijuar dëgjesat publike me qytetarët në kuadër të konsultimeve për reformën e re administrative-territoriale. Gjatë takimit të…
Përforcimi i madh i Real Madridit këtë verë, Yan Diomande, dha një intervistë për SportyTV, në të cilën foli për…
Një vatër zjarri ka përfshirë masivin pyjor mbi qytetin e Milotit, në Bashkinë Kurbin, duke shkaktuar shqetësim për shkak të…