Categories: english

Ibishi: Opening of the Ibar Bridge After Brussels’ Confirmation an Extraordinary Success

Security expert Nuredin Ibishi has described Brussels’ confirmation that the conditions have been met for opening the main bridge over the Ibar River in Mitrovica as an extraordinary development.

Të lidhura

None found

Speaking on the program “Ditari,” Ibishi said the bridge’s opening could have a direct impact on the process of integrating northern Kosovo.

He emphasized that the creation of a suitable security environment was made possible by the work of the Kosovo Police, other security institutions and the restraint shown by communities in northern and southern Mitrovica.

“First and foremost, the Kosovo Police, intelligence services and all other Kosovo services have contributed to creating favorable conditions and a suitable security environment. Naturally, the communities living in the north and south have also shown restraint and self-control, avoiding incidents,” Ibishi said.

According to him, KFOR, EULEX and the European Union also played an important role in overcoming the situation.

“Fortunately, KFOR, EULEX and the European Union finally gave the green light for this situation to be overcome. Overall, I believe this is an extraordinary achievement that will also have an impact on the integration of the north,” he said.

Regarding the timeframe for opening the bridge, Ibishi said the process was not expected to take long. However, he explained that responsibilities would be transferred to the Kosovo Police gradually.

“I do not think it will take long. Following this initiative, what has been announced by KFOR, EULEX and the Kosovo Police will be implemented, with responsibilities gradually transferred to the Kosovo Police. This does not concern only the bridges, but also other sites in Kosovo, including the Deçan Monastery. Therefore, I do not believe it will take much time, but it will be a gradual process,” Ibishi said.

Referring to the Serbian List’s reaction following Brussels’ decision, he ruled out the possibility of the situation in the north escalating.

According to Ibishi, the reaction represents a final attempt to resist the integration process.

“The Serbian List merely conveys the demands of Vučić and Belgrade, but it no longer has the extremist power it once had on the ground to organize a blockade or obstruct freedom of movement, including by taking measures with serious consequences,” he said.

Ibishi said the Serbian List’s position was aimed at halting the integration of the north.

“This is merely a final and destructive attempt to obstruct the integration of the north instead of supporting it. Their reaction should be condemned,” Ibishi concluded.

The European Union has announced that the criteria for opening the main bridge over the Ibar River in Mitrovica have been met. The announcement came after KFOR began gradually withdrawing its permanent presence from the bridge.

On Monday, former Kosovo President Vjosa Osmani welcomed the confirmation, describing the opening of the bridge as a historic step.

The process began early last week, when NATO’s mission in Kosovo announced that it had started the gradual transition of its permanent troop presence on the main bridge.

KFOR explained that the transition was being carried out based on security conditions and in coordination with Kosovo’s institutions, EULEX and other international actors.

The Kosovo Police were also seen on the bridge that same day.

Following the announcement, the European Union said it had been informed by NATO and reiterated its unchanged position: the bridge should be opened after the work, assessments and consultations with security partners have been completed.

The bridge over the Ibar River has for years been considered one of Kosovo’s most sensitive areas.

It separates southern Mitrovica, which is inhabited mainly by Albanians, from the northern part of the city, which has a Serb majority.

Persistent tensions have led KFOR to maintain a presence on the bridge for many years.

të fundit

Mela Welcomes U.S. Acting Ambassador, with Focus on Tourism and Dibra Hospitality

Ushtruesja e detyrës së ambasadores së Shteteve të Bashkuara të Amerikës në Shkup, Nicole Varnes ka qëndruar në Dibër, ku…

4 minutes ago

On August 20, the Ministry of Health will publish data on the epidemic in Gostivar

Situata me pacientët që kanë kërkuar ndihmë mjekësore në Spitalin e Gostivarit po shkon drejt stabilizimit, ndërsa zyrtarisht uji është…

5 minutes ago

PDK and LDK Address Haxhiu Regarding CEC Members, but Treat Her Only as Acting President

Derisa dy partitë, Partia Demokratike e Kosovës dhe Lidhja Demokratike e Kosovës, nuk duan që të kenë takim me Ushtruesen…

6 minutes ago

Shpërthimi i motorit të skafit në Porto Palermo lë të plagosur katër persona

Katër persona kanë pësuar djegie të shumta në trup pas shpërthimit të motorit të një skafi në Porto Palermo. Ngjarja…

7 minutes ago

Dinamo prezanton Alhassan dhe Almir Ajzerajn para nisjes së sezonit të ri

Dinamo CityPërpara nisjes së sezonit të ri në Abissnet Superiore dhe ndeshjes së parë të sfidës kundër Pafos, në play-off…

7 minutes ago

Shqipëria me 7 vatra aktive zjarri, 3 të tjera mbahen nën monitorim

Shtatë vatra zjarri vijojnë të jenë aktive në Shqipëri, ndërsa tre të tjera janë në monitorim. Ministria e Mbrojtjes ka…

8 minutes ago